Monday, July 9, 2012

Ouch! My Sore Heels Have Spurs

I found out that I have heel spurs in both feet.  A heel spur is a hook of bone that can form on the heel bone (calcaneus) and is associated with plantar fasciitis.  The plantar fascia is a thick, ligamentous connective tissue that runs from the calcaneus (heel bone) to the ball of the foot.  Many of you probably heard of this before but now I know how painful they are.  I went to the podiatrist for one foot a year ago and she made me a "support" to put in my shoe every time I wear shoes.  She even told me to wear them with slippers in the house.  I've gotten cortisone shots in that foot and it's not bad now.  Well, this spring I found out I have a heel spur in the other foot now also.  It got so painful I had to go back to the podiatrist and get a support made for that foot (plus a shot in that foot).  They have you keep coming back till they get the support fitted comfortably for you. When I go for walks I'm supposed to do some stretching exercises before and after which I don't like doing.   After wearing sandals, flip flops, and going bare foot all these years I now can only wear special sandals that have support (which the podiatrist sells of course).  I can wear cheaper shoes as long as I put my support in them.  I sure do miss going bare foot and wearing any old sandal in the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment