Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Blueberry Pie ~ The Season Is Nearly Over

This is a previous post but since blueberry season is nearly over it brought back memories. I didn't go picking this year because there just wasn't any time. 


My daughter Karissa and I went blueberry picking at a blueberry farm in our area last week. We both picked a large pail of blueberries and I have been eating them like crazy. While picking them I must have eaten a pound of them. They were so delicious and fresh tasting! There's nothing like fresh picked fruit for a snack and blueberries are so good for a person too.


Karissa likes to bake (and cook) so she and I made a couple of pies. I froze a couple of large bags of the blueberries for this winter when it's snowing!


Here is the recipe for the blueberry pie:

Prepare pastry for a 2 crust 9 inch pie. Combine 4 cups fresh blueberries with 3/4 to 1 cup sugar, 3 tbsp. all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel, 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon and a dash of salt.

Line a 9 inch pie plate with pastry. Fill. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. lemon juice; dot with 1 tbsp. butter. Arrange lattice crust on top of pie. Seal. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm if desired. Good with vanilla ice cream too!



2 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't have time to go blueberry picking this year. Life can get really busy, too busy sometimes! That pie looks delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've been so busy this summer. I don't know where June and July even went, it just flew by. Now August is nearly over! Wish I could have made another pie! Maybe I'l have to settle for another type when things slow down.

    ReplyDelete