Sunday, August 17, 2014

My Summer Fresh Produce



My Summer Fresh Produce

Summer Squash and Cucumbers

I can't believe it is the end of summer already! After the long hard and snowy winter here in Michigan we kept waiting for the warm weather.

It's been a cooler than average summer but was so nice! I have loved the temperatures in the 70's and 80's. To me it has been perfect!

The weather was cool this spring and the tomatoes are just starting to ripen, so they are late this year.
We have had summer squash and cucumbers for a couple of weeks. 

Tomatoes

As you can see in the picture above there are stones around the tomato plant. That is because we plant some tomato plants in front of our house. We used to plant them in our garden in the back but the deer kept eating them all. A couple of years ago we planted over 30 plants one day and the next day they were all chewed off but the stems.

 I'm anxious to start canning tomatoes for the winter. I love to put them in chili and goulash. It tastes so much better than canned tomatoes.

Grape Vines

Above are some of the grapes which are getting bigger. My dad transplanted the grape vines from the family farm and planted them at our house when we moved here. That was about 18 years ago.

How is your garden growing? Let me know!


\

No comments:

Post a Comment