Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Appliances Don't Last

Appliances Don't Last



Well, our microwave bit the dust the other day! It's been acting up for a couple of weeks and the other night I went to use it to make some popcorn. I put my popcorn in the microwave and shut the door. Pressed popcorn and some weird number or letters came up and that was it! It was shot!

I remember buying this microwave so it can't be but two years old. Well, we live in a tiny town and the closest place to get one quick is twenty miles away....to Walmart!

Yes, it sucks living in a small town sometimes. You are always filling up the gas tank to go some place. 

Anyways, I went one day without having a microwave and couldn't stand it. So last night I went to buy one. My daughter and I were looking at them and they had the exact microwave that we had at home.

We bought it because they didn't have any other ones with the same wattage. When I was checking out the cashier asked if I wanted to purchase a 2 year warranty for $15 and I just said no. I didn't tell her that the one I had lasted about 2 years anyways.

It made me think of how times have changed. I remember when our town had a TV repairman (who fixed radios also), shoe repairman, washer repairman, and probably some other types of repairmen.

Can you imagine how much of this junk is in landfills....on top of everything else!? What will life be like when our children or grandchildren grow up?  Sometimes I think it would be nice to go back to the older way of living. We live in a throw away society with everything. If it's broke, you just throw it away because they make everything cheap.

What do you think? 




No comments:

Post a Comment