Football Fest Empanadas Recipe
|Source: Taste of Home|
- 1 jar (16 ounces) black bean and corn salsa
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-use Southwestern chicken strips, chopped
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 ounces quesadilla cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the salsa, corn, jalapenos, 2 tablespoons cilantro and lime juice. In another bowl, combine the chicken, remaining cilantro and 1/2 cup salsa mixture; set aside. Reserve remaining salsa for serving.
- Unroll a pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Using a floured 4-in. round cookie cutter placed halfway on edge of pastry, cut 4-in. x 3-in. football shapes. Repeat with remaining dough, chilling and rerolling scraps as needed.
- Transfer half of the cutouts to greased baking sheets. Place 1 tablespoon chicken mixture in the center of each; top each with 1-1/2 teaspoons cheese. Brush edges of pastry with egg. Top with remaining cutouts; press edges with a fork to seal. Cut slits in the tops to resemble football laces. Brush tops with egg.
- Bake at 450° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with reserved salsa mixture. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen
Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Recipe Source: Taste of Home