Sunday, January 15, 2017

No More Circus!

Photo Credit: Unsplash

I remember when my kids were little, taking them to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus with my parents. My dad always liked the circus and fairs, and growing up we went to a lot of them! It was always fun, and way before all the modern technology that we have these days. Those were the simple days, when nobody had cell phones and computers.

It was always exciting to see the acrobats and lion tamer shows, along with the clowns and other great acts they had. The circus around our area always came in January after the Christmas holidays. It was refreshing to go see the circus in the middle of winter, when there is nothing else going around like in the summer months.

Today I heard some sad news, that the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is closing after being around for 146 years! Wow! That is a long time and is a shame that it is going to be a thing of the past and the end of an era.

I've found out that one of the reasons for the closing is because of declining attendance. Also the high cost of operating is another reason. Along with those reasons, animal activist rights groups contributed to the decision to close. The last planned performance is in May.

Times do change and things don't stay the same. If you have even been to the circus before, you'll have fond memories like I do with my family.







No comments:

Post a Comment