Monday, August 22, 2016

Summer Blogging Challenge ~ Summer Eats! @SocialInsiders #SocialSummer


It's still summer and the weather has been hot, dry and humid. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to the summer months but read somewhere that last month (July) was the hottest in world history! That's a record that is kind of scary to me. What would we do without air conditioning and if there were no electricity? Thankfully, it has rained a few times recently and everything outdoors looks so much better. Today it cooled off a little also.

Who wants to cook when it's hot - not me! I've only used the oven a few times this summer when it was absolutely necessary. Heck, I don't even like to cook much at all when it's hot! Munching on fresh fruit and veggies is so much healthier. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this on my blog before, but I haven't eaten meat in a few years. I'm not a strict vegetarian but really don't care for beef or pork so I quit eating it. I'll eat chicken breast once in a while but that's about it. So when my husband wants to barbecue hamburgers or pork chops he makes enough for himself and our son. By the way, one of my twin sons quit eating meat also. The boys are 25 years old so it's not like they are little any more.

What appeals to me in the summer are salads and everything that you can find in the garden. I've been eating corn on the cob, watermelon and salads recently. I really like pasta salad and usually make it when our relatives get together for dinners. It's really easy to make and I love the different colors of the rotini that you use. The recipe is below if you've never tried it before. You can put other veggies in it and make to your own style.
PASTA SALAD RECIPE

1 -16 oz. box of tri-colored rotini
1 can black olives (sliced)
4 -5 cherry tomatoes or 1 large tomato (cut up in small pieces)
1 small onion (diced)
1 pepper (red or green) diced
1 regular bottle of Italian dressing
McCormick Salad Supreme Seasoning (about 3 tbsps.or more to taste)

Cook rotini according to instructions on box.  Drain and rinse well with cold water.  Put in a medium bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.   Cool in refrigerator. 




No comments:

Post a Comment